Monday, February 8, 2016

Week #3 - R2 Media Response


This week our reading discussed the idea of sound and listening. Sound is one of the senses that people don't always fully pay attention to. You hear sound but you must listen to truly perceive it. Acknowledging the importance of sound and utilizing it to create situation and provoke emotion is an essential part of filmmaking. In one of this week’s videos, David New used subjective interactivity to convey the importance of listening. He showed how easy it is to disregard ambient noise in our everyday lives and how important it is to just stop, listen and take everything in. In the second video for this week Justin Boyd discussed his process of capturing field recordings and mixing them with found objects to create original art works. I was particularly interested in this technique because it pushed me to think about how I could manipulate certain sounds to communicate my way of perceiving in the films that I make. In the reading for this week we learned about acoustic ecology from R. Murray Schafer, which he states aims to accentuate the delicate balance between organisms and their sonic environment. In this article I was intrigued by his term “sonic sewer”, to describe the overpopulation of sound in cities, and I was shocked to find out that companies, like Harley-Davidson, are copyrighting their sounds. I also would like to participate in the listening activity that Schafer uses with some of his students as I feel I need to learn to really step back and listen more than I do. In the second article, the most notable aspect for me was the idea of acoustic activism. I find it really interesting to think about and consider all of the sounds in everyday life, from manmade to natural ones, and I had no idea how extensive the research on sound interactions could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment