Sunday, February 21, 2016

Assignment #1: 16mm Film Manipulation Response


The first manipulation assignment was both challenging and exciting. Considering that this was the first time I'd ever touched film stock, learning multiple ways to manipulate it was a bit intimidating. I found the 100-frame animation to be the most difficult as it took a lot of time to accurately draw my idea, and even then I could only hope that my image would appear clearly and flow through the frames as intended. My favorite process of manipulation was when we learned the rayogram technique using unexposed film. In another course I had read about Man Ray’s rayographs but I did not completely understand the process so actually getting to create one myself was very exciting. It was interesting to figure out how to use the materials we had in class to convey the classical elements, and it’s safe to say that my film is a bit outside the box. Looking back on it now, I definitely got carried away scratching and hole punching the film and to be honest I just smeared a whole bunch of the ink colors together because I thought it looked cool. All in all, I found the entire process fascinating and I’d like to continue learning how to manipulate film. Ideally I will gain a few artistic abilities and my future manipulations will have a clear message or theme rather than resembling a piece of art found in an elementary classroom or on the side of the road. Ultimately I really enjoyed this assignment, and I feel I learned a lot from the work we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment