Sunday, April 10, 2016

What is your rough theatre?


My rough theatre is found in the realism and spontaneity of live performance. As someone who has been a part of the theatre world since I was 14, I am used to being on stage and just going with the flow. Which is why I related to this article’s idea that with live performance, you can never completely plan and prepare everything. You cannot go back and reshoot a scene if something goes wrong, you cannot anticipate every action and later edit things together to get the result you want before showing the audience. Theatre is completely in the moment, and rough all around. This is especially true with improv performances, where the actors do not use a set, or a lot of props, or a script, they just use whatever pops into their heads or what they draw from the audience. There is a truth to performances like that that fascinates me. It is interesting to see how people work in the moment, and really react to one another, as in real life we do not get a script, we have no idea what someone will say, how they will react, or any idea of the end result. I like the concept that we discussed in class regarding how children perform without reservations and for no reason but just to do it. I love watching old home videos from my childhood with me and my siblings or friends, and find the innocent curiosity and pure joy in each video captivating. As I am slowly learning more about filmmaking, I have found myself trying to discover and use unscripted realism and spontaneity in my work as I feel those are the relatable moments that unite us all as humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment